Sunday, May 10, 2015

After the Sorrow comes a pleasant surprise

We lost one of our neighbors, of twenty-eight years, this past week.  He had suffered through two strokes six months apart and his wife made the decision to take him off life support.  Four days later he passed away.  He was a great friend who would always have a kind word to say, enjoyed going to baseball games and a fan of my writings.  Before he died he had purchased all seven of my existing books.
Following the memorial service we joined those who gathered to share some food and company.  When my wife and I were ready to leave we went to say goodbye to his wife.  We knew their daughter was flying back home on Thursday, and she would then be alone.  My wife invited her to join us for the traditional Sabbath dinner on Friday evening.  The wife immediately accepted and asked what she could bring.
Then she grabbed my hand and said, "Phil has all of your books on a shelf with a heading titled, Joe Smiga's books.  He loved everything you wrote, and I want you to always sell me a copy of any future books you write in your writing career.  While I didn't read most of your books as I don't read that genre,  I read your "Tova" book three times.  Thank you for being there for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment